SHOULD MEN HAVE
A VOICE WHEN IT
COMES TO ABORTION?
It takes a man and a woman to make a baby.
Men often shy away from the abortion discussion because they are bombarded with messages saying, “no uterus, no opinion.” But women deserve better than to be told that they should figure it out on their own. At Life’s Vision, we encourage men to use their voice to Speak for Life.
SHOULD MEN TALK ABOUT ABORTION?
1. Abortion advocates say that men don’t get a say on whether a woman has an abortion because it is not the man’s body carrying the baby. Yet there are many men who are devastated when they are told they have no say in what happens to the child they helped conceive.
2. Men legalized abortion in Canada. It was in 1969, the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1968-69, when abortion in certain cases first became legal. The earlier version was first introduced by Minister of Justice, Pierre Trudeau, then later re-introduced by John Turner. It was men that used their voices to allow abortion to first become legal in Canada. It is Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who is allocating hundreds of millions of dollars towards overseas abortions. These men used and continue to use their voices to support abortion.
3. The pro-life movement is pro-child and pro-woman. Does this mean this is a solely a woman’s issue? No. Abortion is a human rights issue, since abortion is the deliberate termination of a life in the womb. Men can and should protect the life of his fellow human.
4. The abortion movement lets men off the hook. Abortion allows men to have complete sexual freedom without any consequences - it is essentially a contraceptive back-up plan. A man can say he supports a woman’s right to choose, when the fact is his support has nothing to do with women’s rights but his own desire for complete sexual freedom. Abortion on demand abdicates men from their responsibilities when it comes to sex, pregnancy, and raising children.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
• Be informed. Life’s Vision provides compassionate and effective ways to communicate pro-life apologetics.
• Stay connected. Find other men and women who value the dignity of every life, from conception to natural death.
• Be hopeful. If we have hope to see an end to abortion in Canada, we will be more likely to see it through.